While steaks, chops, sausages and seafood are standard Aussie BBQ fare, you can still enjoy an Australia Day BBQ without compromising your new year’s healthy resolutions with this delicious and easy Aussie Burger.
- 500g lean minced steak
- 100g cooked beetroot
- 2 mini garlic and coriander naan bread
- 50g bag rocket
- Tomato, grated carrot and BBQ onions
- 4 tbsp soured cream and chive dip (mixed)
- Salt and pepper
- Make the burgers: Tip the meat into a bowl and sprinkle over 1 tsp salt and a good grinding of black pepper.Work with wet hands to mix in the seasoning. Divide into four with your hands and shape into burgers. (It can be frozen at this stage.)
- Sort out your ingredients: Prepare the salads to your liking and split the naan breads.
- Toast the naans: Heat the BBQ and toast the naans on both sides until lightly toasted and set aside. Add the burgers and onion to the BBQ and cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the dish: Set half a toasted naan on each serving plate and put a pile of rocket on each. Top with a burger, the BBQ onion then a few slices of beetroot, grated carrot and tomato before adding a dollop of the soured cream and chive mix. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with a big green salad.