We have a wonderfully healthy recipe this month, full of nutritious veges to warm your body and soul!
This Broccoli and Kale Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche is a quick dinner idea that tastes amazing and is very low in calories… Enjoy!
Broccoli and Kale Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche
Prep Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Broccoli and Kale Soup –
- 200 gram kale leaves, stems removed, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) good-quality vegetable stock
- 650 gram sebago potatoes, chopped
- 450 gram broccoli, cut into florets, stems sliced thinly
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Lemon Creme Fraiche –
- 1 cup (240g) creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- shredded lemon rind, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Rub 50 grams of the kale with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add stock and potato; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli; simmer, covered, for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining kale and parsley; cook for a further 1 minute or until just wilted. Remove soup from heat. Using a stick blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- Make lemon creme fraiche: combine creme fraiche and grated rind in a small bowl; season.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with creme fraiche mixture, kale chips and shredded rind.
You can use any white all-purpose non-waxy potato for this recipe. You can use chicken stock in place of vegetable stock. If using a jug blender or food processor to blend soup, stand it for 10 minutes to cool slightly before blending. The soup, without creme fraiche, can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Source: Women’s Weekly Food