As the nights begin to cool down, the cravings for warm hearty meals begin. This doesn’t have to mean unhealthy meals that might otherwise be forbidden in your household. Winter is a great time to invest in your health and spend time preparing some healthy immune boosting meals, like soup.
This spicy cauliflower soup is rich in glutathione, a potent antioxidant that helps fight off infection, and also supports a strong immune system with vitamin C and selenium thanks of course to the star ingredient, cauliflower. This healthy, delicious soup will put you on the path to optimal health over winter, with plenty of spices and a dollop of yoghurt for good measure.
- 750 g(1 small) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1small onion, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 625 ml(2½ cups) good-quality vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- 80 ml(⅓ cup) natural yoghurt
Part 1 – Roasting and spicing the cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Place half the cauliflower florets in a bowl.
- Combine the cumin, paprika, coriander and cinnamon.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the spice mix to the cauliflower, along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season well and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for 20 minutes until golden.
- Turn the oven off but leave the cauliflower inside until you’re ready to serve.
Part 2 – Preparing the stock
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the remaining cauliflower, onion, garlic and pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7–8 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add the remaining spice mix and cook for 1 minute until aromatic.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 16–18 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a hand held blender puree the soup with the parsley until smooth.
- Stir through half the yoghurt and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with roasted cauliflower.
- Drizzle with the remaining yoghurt and scatter over the extra parsley.
Everyone at Sandgate Physical Health Clinic would like to thank you for your continued support. If you need to speak with us or book an appointment please contact us.
Call the clinic on 38691099 or book online!
Recipe and Image courtesy of www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes