We love frittatas, they make a great healthy meatless meal that can be prepared with minimal effort. They are easy to make and store well in the refrigerator, and they’re equally good hot, cold or at room temperature.
It’s good to have a few frittata recipes up your sleeve that you can easily whip together for a healthy family meal or lunch for school, and this one is light, has a lovely savoury flavour and a wonderful aroma that makes it a perfect summertime favourite.
- 8 eggs
- 700 g eggplants, half peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60 g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle sea salt over eggplant cubes and let them sit in a colander for half an hour. Rinse the eggplants then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and saute the onion. Add the eggplant cubes and the garlic and let them cook on medium low heat until golden and cooked. Stir them frequently.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with cheese, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the cooked eggplants, lifting edges of eggplant so eggs coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook over low heat covered until set and cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve!